We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

During your divorce, you and your ex will have to decide where the kids will live. Your Barrie divorce lawyer might suggest that you try to keep your children in the same school, regardless of who takes custody of them, because divorce is a time of upheaval for everyone involved—and changing schools forces them to start over.

Conversely, switching schools might be a welcome change for some kids. Talk to your family and yourBarriedivorce lawyer before you make any big decisions about changing schools so you can make the most informed choice.

Enroling Kids in School: Who’s Responsible?

The custodial parent is usually responsible for enroling kids in school. Generally, the kids will go to school in the custodial parent’s district (unless there’s a court order or some other reason to have the kids attend elsewhere). This is particularly important when parents divorce before kids are school-aged.

If your ex gives you a hard time about enroling your children in school, or if you’re having difficulty doing so through the district, let your Barrie divorce lawyer know. He or she will probably be able to work with you to get your ex on the same page and get your kids in school.

Challenges of Changing Schools

When kids have to change schools, they might have difficulty making new friends, adjusting to a different curriculum and communicating their needs with you. Since kids lack the emotional maturity adults have, they might act out in frustration.

If your kids do have to change schools, ask your Barrie divorce lawyer if he or she knows a local counsellor or therapist who can talk to them (and you) through this tough time.

As a parent, you can make the transition a little easier on your kids. You can:

  • Wait to switch schools until the end of the semester or the end of the school year. That way, your kids will get some closure, and all their loose ends will be tied up.
  • Find extracurricular activities your kids will enjoy so they have more opportunities to meet people, stay busy and have a little fun. If you move during the summer, even better—your kids will get a head start.
  • Meet with educators at the new school before your kids start. You can find out whether the school will assign another student to show your kids around, whether there are support systems in place for new students and what sort of academic performance the school requires.

Talk to your kids frequently about changing schools. By showing your kids you’re available (and that you care), they’ll understand they can use your help sorting out their feelings and working through this challenging time.

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund