We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

Divorce can be an emotional roller coaster for both parties, whether it was a one-sided decision or a mutual choice to split. While it’s normal to experience a wide range of emotions, new personal boundaries arise during divorce—and unfortunately, some people fail to recognize them. If your ex is harassing you, you’ll need to let your Barrie divorce lawyer know right away.

What Counts as Harassment?

Generally, unwanted phone calls, visits and other types of contact can be considered harassment. Of course, you and your ex will need to communicate about your kids or to coordinate plans. In most cases, however, regular social interaction stops during divorce.

If your ex sends you text messages, emails or messages through social media sites that cross the line or make you uncomfortable, it could be considered harassment. Likewise, if your ex shows up at your home or at your place of employment uninvited, especially with the intent of arguing with you or causing problems, you’ll need to involve your Barrie divorce lawyer.

How to Get Your Ex to Stop Harassing You During Divorce

Your Barrie divorce lawyer might suggest that you start by asking your ex to leave you alone. Sometimes a simple statement, such as “I feel like you’re harassing me and it’s making me uncomfortable” can help; it’s not uncommon for former spouses to have a hard time adjusting to your new boundaries. However, it’s not a guarantee—and if asking nicely doesn’t work, you’ll probably need to rely on your Barrie divorce lawyer’s experience with the law to get your ex to stop harassing you.

Legal Routes: How Your Barrie Divorce Lawyer Can Help

Your lawyer might be able to have a discussion with your ex’s lawyer to help stop the harassment. If that doesn’t work, he or she might be able to pursue legal action that will force your ex to leave you alone—however, every situation is unique, and only your Barrie divorce lawyer can provide you with legal advice and guidance based on what will work best for you.

When You Should Call Your Barrie Divorce Lawyer

If your ex threatens you, intimidates you or becomes physically violent with you, get to a safe place and notify the police immediately. Once that’s handled, call your Barrie divorce lawyer and provide as many details as you can. Your lawyer will be able to help you find the resources you need and give you advice that’s perfectly tailored to your situation.

You should also let your lawyer know if your ex is harassing you in any other way. If possible, keep track of instances of harassment in a journal, print out emails or save voicemail messages and texts; that way, you can give your lawyer all the details he or she needs to help alleviate the situation.

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund