We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

The general rule is that for an amount to qualify as a support amount it must be paid directly to the recipient, and the recipient must have control over how the funds are spent. However, following a separation, it often happens that the person who was, during the marriage, responsible for the payment of certain expenditures, such as property taxes on the family home, will continue to pay those amounts directly to a third party. Such amounts can be treated for tax purposes as support amounts; however, it’s important to structure such payments carefully, as seemingly insignificant differences in the way the payments are made can have unintended and unwelcome tax consequences. The general rule in this area is that payments made directly to third parties may be deducted by the payor and included in the income of the recipient where the following criteria are met:

  • the payments are made, under an order or agreement, for the benefit and maintenance of the recipient spouse;
  • the payments are made at a time when the payor and the recipient were living separate and apart; and
  • the court order or written agreement specifies that the recipient will include the amounts in income and that the payor can deduct them.

For example, where a former spouse continues to make property tax or insurance premium payments on the family home in which his former spouse and their children continue to live, he would be able to deduct such payments from income, and his former spouse would include them in her income, assuming that the three criteria listed above are satisfied.

Back to Article: Divorce and Money Matters Can be Taxing

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund