Gelman & Associate's statement regarding COVID-19 - Read More

Generally, a person who pays child support is not allowed to claim an eligible dependant amount in respect of that child. However, in the year the parents separate, the parent who pays support has an option. He or she may claim the credit (assuming that no other person is claiming the AED for that child), or may claim a deduction for spousal support paid, assuming that all other eligibility criteria for an AED credit or a support payment deduction have been satisfied.

Back to Article: Divorce and Money Matters Can be Taxing

Contact Form - Contact Us

Fill out this form to request a free consultation (some exceptions apply) and someone will call or email you.

Personal Information

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.