We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

In years following the year of separation (i.e., where the parties live separate and apart for the entire year), the parent with whom a child lives may claim the AED. Where an AED claim is made, especially for the first time, the tax authorities may well request some documentation to show that the person claiming the credit does actually have custody of the child. A separation agreement or court order outlining the custody and living arrangements is ideal; failing that, a copy of school records verifying that the child’s address is the same as that of the parent claiming the credit should suffice.

More and more frequently, divorcing parents are able to agree on and implement joint custody arrangements, where the children may move back and forth between each parent’s home. In such situations, it’s important to remember that the AED cannot be split “it must be claimed by one parent or the other. Co-operation in this regard is essential “if the parents cannot come to an agreement, and both attempt to claim the credit in respect of the same child, neither will be allowed to claim it and the credit will be lost. However, where there are two children in the family, and the parents share custody, it is perfectly possible for one parent to make the AED claim in respect of the first child and the other parent to make the claim for the second child.

Back to Article: Divorce and Money Matters Can be Taxing

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund