We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

Child Support: The Basics

In Ontario the Child Support Guidelines are used to calculate and determine the monthly child support amounts paid by one parent to the other for the benefit of the child(ren).  Parents are legally obligated to support all of their dependent children. This is required as long as the child is a minor (under 18) or if over the age of 18 and is living at home and enrolled in full time education.  Children over the age of 18 with disabilities may remain dependents, and thus be entitled to child support.  A person may also be obligated to pay support even if the person is not the biological parent, but has stood in the place of the biological parent, as a step-parent.

The Gelman & Associates website has a helpful Child Support Calculator which can provide you with an approximate calculation of a child support obligation based on your current financial situation.


Once the child(ren)’s primary residency is established, the Child Support Guidelines are referred to in order to determine the monthly support amount to be paid by the parent who does not have the child(ren) primarily residing with them.  The Child Support Guidelines is essentially a Table/Chart whereby Support is calculated based on the gross income of the parent paying support and the number of children support is to be paid for.  It is important to note that gross income includes among other things, stock options, bonuses, overtime, investment income, rental income, etc.


In addition to the Child Support Guidelines there is another type of child support that is commonly referred to as “s. 7 special and extraordinary expenses”.  These expenses are over and above the minimum table amounts required according to the Child Support Guidelines and are paid by the parents.  Should the child(ren) have additional expenses that are extraordinary or special, both parents will be obligated to contribute to such expenses in proportion to their respective incomes.  A few examples of s. 7 special and extraordinary expenses are: daycare costs, tutoring fees, extracurricular activities, dental/medical expenses and post-secondary educational costs.


It is becoming more common for both parents to equally parent the child(ren).  In recent years we have seen a significant increase in a “shared parenting” approach whereby the child(ren) reside equally with both parents (shared custody).  The child or children basically have two homes and spend equal time with their parents.

Lastly, unlike spousal support, child support is not tax deductible by the payor and not deemed taxable income by the recipient.

Related: Child Support: The Details

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund