We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

Toronto divorce lawyers are constantly asked: “Can I control how my child support payments are used?

The short and simple answer is: No.

Does this mean that as the non-custodial parent you have no control or say over your child? The answer again, is no. Although the payor of child support has no legal right to dictate how the support payment is used, the payor has other rights dependent on the custody agreement. A Toronto divorce lawyer would agree that it is rare for the court to order sole legal custody wherein the non-custodial parent has little or no control and access to his/her child. Such an arrangement will likely only occur where the non-custodial parent is deemed unfit due to
concerns about the health and safety of the child.

More commonly, child custody arrangements such as joint custody encourage both parents to take on a large and influential role in their child’s life. Joint custody bestows each parent with equal rights in reference to major decision-making. These are not simply platitudes, but legally enforceable rights. Therefore, different types of custody agreements allow for varying levels of control.

A Toronto divorce lawyer will suggest that the idea of “controlling” child support payments may be misguided. Rather than envisioning the relationship between parents as one of control, it is advisable to view the relationship as cooperative. By fostering a positive and collaborative rapport with the custodial parent, it may be more likely that your suggestions as to how to spend child support payments will be more warmly received.

Money is a sensitive subject for many separated couples. It is often used as a mechanism of control and manipulation. A Toronto divorce lawyer would advise you to put aside previous conflicts and always keep the best interest of the child in mind. In addition, remember to respect the custodial parent’s legal right to use the child support payment at his/her discretion, while trying to create a supportive and healthy co-parent relationship.

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund