We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

Whether you’re the recipient or payor of child support, you may be wondering how child support orders are enforced in Ontario.

Non-payment of a child support order in Ontario is dealt with by the Family Responsibility Office – FRO.

[The FRO] collects, distributes and enforces child and spousal support payments.  [It] work[s] to flow payments from the person who pays the support (the payor) to the person who is entitled to it (the recipient).

The FRO handles over 180,000 cases each year and collects about $650 million in support payments.

Parties Are Required by Law to Adhere to a Child Support Order

Child support is the right of the child.  A parent cannot refuse to pay child support that has been ordered, even if the other parent denies them access to the child.  Similarly, access to a child does not have to be provided simply because the other parent makes the child support payments that have been ordered.

Sometimes a parent cannot afford to pay child support, or they need a reduction in the amount they are obligated to pay.  This can be done either by agreement with the other parent, or via court order.  Courts will look at issues such as undue hardship and the differential between a payor’s standard of living and the payee’s standard of living in deciding whether a reduction or elimination of a child support obligation is warranted.

FRO Enforcement Actions

Any support order issued by an Ontario court or any support agreement in a domestic contract filed with an Ontario court will be enforced by the FRO.  Unless the parties agree expressly in writing to withdraw from the FRO, the agency will act as an intermediary for all payments once a support obligation has been registered with them.

If payments are not being made by the payor spouse, the FRO can pursue one or more steps to collect payment.  The office states that it has

…the legal authority and responsibility to take enforcement action to recover…money…

Enforcement actions the FRO can take include:

  • garnishing bank accounts;
  • garnishing money the payor may be entitled to receive from the Government of Canada (e.g. income tax refunds, Canada Pension Plan benefits);
  • reporting the payor to the credit bureau;
  • suspending the payor’s driver’s licence;
  • suspending the payor’s Canadian passport or other federal licence;
  • placing a lien on the payor’s personal property;
  • issuing a writ of seizure and sale for property the payor owns;
  • reporting the payor to his or her professional or occupational organization;
  • seizing lottery winnings; and
  • starting a Default Hearing, which could lead to up to 180 days of jail time.

Serious Consequences

As we can see from the list of possible enforcement actions, failure to pay child support can lead to serious, life-altering consequences.  Losing one’s passport, licence, or professional licence could result in additional financial difficulties for the payor, and jail time would obviously have serious repercussions for the payor and his or her loved ones.

If you have questions about child support, or concerns about your ability to pay the amount of child support that has been ordered or agreed to in a separation agreement, contact Gelman & Associates at (416) 736-0200 or 1-844-742-0200 or contact us online for a confidential initial consultation.

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund