We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

The “Adult Child” and Child Support

Parents often wish to understand their child support obligations after their children turn eighteen.  Many believe that child support ends at that time and that they no longer have to pay child support for that child.  In some circumstances however, child support does end once a child turns eighteen.  In many other circumstances, child support continues to be paid beyond this milestone. Lawyers sometimes refer to this as support for an adult child. This article deals with the topic of the “adult child” and child support.

Contrary to what images this term may conjure up, an “adult child” is not an adult who refuses to grow up and get a job.  The term “adult child” refers to a child over the age of eighteen who is unable to become self-sufficient or self-supporting due to any number of factors, including disability, illness or education.  Most of the questions that I get asked have to do with an adult child who is unable to become self-supporting due to continuing education, or post-secondary education.

The parent who is seeking continued support for an “adult child” is the one who needs to prove that the child continues to be in need of support.

Some common questions about adult children and child support:

My child is eighteen years old and is graduating from high school in January.  She told me that she intends to travel through Europe until September when she starts University.  Do I still have to pay child support?

In this scenario, it is likely that this parent will have to continue paying child support for this child through her “gap semester” until this child finishes her first post-secondary degree or diploma.  The time off from school is relatively short, and there appears to be a clear intention to return to full-time post-secondary education in the foreseeable future.  It is unlikely that, in this short period of time, this child will be able to earn a sufficient income to be considered “self-sufficient”.

My son is 22 years old and is graduating from his first post-secondary degree in June.  He was accepted into a Master’s program/Law School/Medical School in the Fall.  Since he is finished his first post-secondary degree, I no longer have to pay child support, right?

It is possible that a parent in similar circumstances will continue to pay child support while his son continues onto further post-secondary education.  Factors that are considered include whether the child would be enrolled in the program on a full-time basis (and therefore less likely to be able to support him or herself), whether the child was successful in their chosen field, or whether the child was eligible for loans, bursaries or other financial assistance.

A court would also consider what the parents would have done if they had not been separated at the time that their child decided to continue with his or her education past the first post-secondary program.  If the parents themselves have a background of higher education, or if they were financially able to continue to support the child through further post-secondary education, it was more likely that the parents would be ordered to continue to pay support for their child to attain a similar level of education as they had been able to do.

My daughter took three years off after high school to work full time.  She is now going to return to school to pursue post-secondary education.  Does this mean that I have to start paying child support again?

In this case, it is not likely that the parent will have to pay full child support for this child while she is in post-secondary education.  As this parent’s daughter was able to become self-sufficient during the three years that she was working, she should have been saving towards the cost of her own care and education.  The parents should first decide on a reasonable financial contribution by their daughter before determining how much, if any, they would be contributing towards their daughter’s expenses.

Do you have a question about your child support obligations once your child reaches the age of eighteen?  Please call Gelman & Associates to set up a personal consultation.

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund