We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

Common Law Relationships – The Basics

According to the latest census, the number of common law relationships in Canada continues to surge.

As this trend shows little sign of slowing down, it is important for common law couples to understand their rights, especially if the relationship should end, and seek the advice of a Toronto divorce lawyer.

Those living in common law relationships have significantly different rights and obligations than couples who are married.

In Ontario, individuals in a common law relationship may be entitled to Spousal Support if they have lived together for three years, or have a child together, and are engaged in a relationship of some permanence.

One key difference between married couples and common law couples is the right to property when the relationship ends. People involved in common law relationships do not have the same rights as married couples to a share in the value of property, including the home they live in, unless the property is in both their names.

At the dissolution of a marriage, a married couple is entitled to divide any kind of property that was acquired by either spouse during the marriage (and is still in their possession at the date of separation), equally. Also, any increase in the value of property owned by one spouse at the date of marriage must be shared. The payment that one spouse would owe the other to achieve this sharing is called an equalization of net family property.

If you are in a common law relationship, however you are not entitled to an equalization payment, but may be entitled to a payment from your spouse to pay you back for a direct or indirect contributions to property that the other owns. This is referred to as unjust enrichment.

Common Law Relationships – The Details

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund