Meeting with a lawyer
Your first meeting with a Toronto divorce lawyer is critical. There are a few things you should think of and gather up before your first meeting. This will save time (and money) and allow your lawyer to give you a better understanding of your circumstances.
1. Think about what you have to convey about your situation. It helps to write down details about your relationship with your spouse or any specific concerns. You should make sure that you are telling your lawyer everything they need to know.
2. Important papers – each case will be a little different but you should bring any financial documents you have (tax returns, bank statements etc.) to your meeting. This will help your lawyer get an idea of your financial position.
3. Be candid. You must be honest with your lawyer so that he or she can give you an accurate assessment of your case. Leaving out important information will only waste time later on.
4. Take notes. Your lawyer may ask you for documents you don’t have or may give you helpful information. Make sure you write everything down so you do not forget and can refer back to your notes at a later time.
5. Ask the right questions. Make sure you understand everything you are told and make sure that you leave with all your concerns answered. Follow-up should things arise after you leave your meeting.