We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

[jwplayer config=”Single Page” mediaid=”1206″]

What You Should Know About Divorce In Ontario Transcript

Hi, my name is Lisa Gelman. I am the owner of Gelman & Associates, and today I will be talking to you about obtaining a divorce.

All a divorce is is a change of status. You go from being a married person to a single person. And a divorce enables you, if you so choose, to get married again. A divorce does not deal with custody, child support, spousal support, division of property, restraining orders, and all the other corollary issues that you can deal with.

In order to obtain a divorce in Ontario, either you or your spouse have to have been living in Ontario for, at least, one year prior to filing your application for divorce. In order to become eligible for a divorce, one of the three things must have happened.

Number one, you and your spouse need to have been living separate and apart for, at least, one year. The second way you’re eligible to apply for divorce is if your spouse has had an adulterous affair. The third way is if there has been cruel or unusual punishment that you have suffered.

You are entitled to file for a divorce any time after you separate. However, if the grounds that you are applying for divorce are based on the year of separation, you won’t be able to get the divorce until you have been separated for, at least, a year. However, if you are relying on either an adulterous affair or physical or mental cruelty, you can apply and are entitled to immediately obtain a divorce.

Once you file for a divorce, generally speaking, the entire process to obtain the actual divorce certificate, which will enable you to re-marry, takes, give or take, about three months. When you want to get a divorce, you have got to file an application for divorce. And what you have to do is file it with the court. And then have it served on your spouse or ex-spouse, within six months. After it’s filed, you then have to wait 30 days.

Once 30 days passes, then more documents are filed with the court. It’s an affidavit and some other documents basically attesting to the fact that you have been separated for a year, or the grounds that you are relying on.

Then, eventually, the court will process it, and if everything is in order, a judge will grant a divorce order. Thirty-one days after receiving that order, as long as there has been no appeal filed, you can obtain a divorce certificate. And the divorce certificate enables you to re-marry.

Alternative to filing an application for divorce, you and your ex-spouse can decide to jointly file a divorce. The advantage of that is if you’re friendly, one party does not have to serve the other party and it can cut down costs. The negative side to that is though, the second procedure, after 30 days expires, is that both spouses have to file an affidavit with the court attesting to the grounds for separation.

If you’d like some more information on a divorce, please take a look at our website and in particular, the section on divorce.

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund