We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

By Lisa Gelman

Trying to navigate the world of co-parenting can be challenging – especially if you and your former spouse or common-law partner are not on good terms. Sometimes, one parent will make it especially difficult for the other parent to have their parenting time due to personal anger or upset about the separation. If you are being denied appropriate parenting time, here are some helpful tips for things you could be doing to try to address the issue and what you need to know about making sure you get to spend time with your children.

Review Your Separation Agreement

If you have a Separation Agreement or Court Order, you should ensure you are familiar with what the document states. A Separation Agreement or Court Order will outline a parenting time schedule for your child(ren) as well as who has decision-making authority. Being familiar with this document and what your rights with respect to parenting time are (as outlined in the document) can help navigate your situation of being denied parenting time.

Talk to Your Lawyer

When you were negotiating the terms of your Separation Agreement, you probably had a Family Lawyer advise you on your rights, who was looking out for your best interests and the best interests of your children. If you are being denied parenting time, talking with your Lawyer is a great place to start, as they will have the legal knowledge to help you determine the next steps.

Document Everything

If your former spouse or common-law partner is sending you text messages or emails resulting in you being denied parenting time, keep a record. If things between the two of you are not going well, start documenting all interactions and conversations. This could be incredibly helpful for your legal team to build a case on your behalf. In addition, having proof of what is going on will be more helpful than just telling your lawyer you are not getting your fair share of parenting time, as some parents may claim they are not getting enough parenting time just to be spiteful.

Explore Alternative Dispute Resolution Options

For some matters, staying outside of the Court process can be more beneficial to both parties and their children. Alternative Dispute Resolution includes mediation, negotiation, and arbitration. Staying outside of the Court process may help you maintain a cooperative co-parenting relationship rather than experiencing all of the trying emotions the Court process can bring.

Think About Your Children

Even if your former spouse or common-law partner is not following the exact rules of the Separation Agreement or Court Order, you will want to make sure any action you take is in the best interests of your child(ren). Suppose you are proceeding with legal action. In that case, you may want to consider how this will impact your child(ren) and how they may feel about their parents going through further legal processes – especially if there was already a long, drawn-out Court process.

Contact Gelman & Associates Today

If you are being denied parenting time, you have a right to pursuant to a Separation Agreement or Court Order, you should talk to your Family Lawyer about your options. Contact Gelman & Associates today to get started.

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund