We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

Arbitration is an option that involves a third party called an arbitrator. Arbitrators, unlike mediators, act like a “judge,” as they are professionals trained to hear testimony, take evidence, and issue actual decisions for the couple. As in mediation, you and your spouse usually both hire experienced divorce lawyers to help with the arbitration process so that you are both advised and represented.

During arbitration there is an actual “hearing,” similar to a court hearing, but in a less formal setting. The law allows a lot of choice on terms of process as long as the procedure is fair to both sides. For instance, each side may present witnesses and documents as evidence to support their arguments. Like a court trial, you have little control over the outcome. Arbitration is not always confidential depending on what your signed arbitration agreement states. This option also tends to be more expensive than mediation because you and your spouse not only have to pay for an arbitrator and each of your legal fees, but, depending on the complexity, the “trial” preparation is often as extensive and time-consuming as preparing for an actual trial.

In order to have an arbitration, both spouses must agree to arbitrate. An arbitration agreement must be signed which must follow the following guidelines in order to be binding: it must be in writing; it must be made after separation; it must discuss how the award can be appealed; it must be conducted under the law of Ontario or another Canadian jurisdiction; both parties must acknowledge that they received independent legal advice; the arbitrator must be trained and must screen for domestic violence or power imbalances. These requirements are necessary in order for the arbitration to be enforceable in court.

An arbitration award can be enforced in several ways depending on what the award says and what term is being violated. The Family Law Act sets out a simplified procedure for enforcing arbitration awards (section 59.8). If the award orders a party to pay money, the award can be registered with the court for enforcement.

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund