We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

How does child support apply with older children out of the house?

Many support payors are under the impression that child support ceases when that child leaves home to attend a post-secondary institution. Our courts, however, have taken a different approach. Child support is reduced but not eliminated. In these cases, the issue is whether the parent receiving child support must reasonably maintain a home base for that child.

Subsection 31(1) of the Family Law Act, provides that each parent has an obligation to provide support for his or her unmarried child who is a minor or is enrolled in a full-time program of education, to the extent that the parent is capable of doing so. Child support for a child over the age of majority is paid in accordance with section 3(2) of the Child Support Guidelines. That section requires a payor to pay the table amount of child support unless the court considers the table amount to be inappropriate. Interestingly enough, the definition of inappropriate is not consistent from province to province. However, it is the Ontario law that is relevant for our purposes.

The Ontario Court of Appeal has held that the table amount is prima facie inappropriate. Once that is the case, then court has to determine an appropriate amount, based on the condition, means, needs and other circumstances of the child and the financial ability of each spouse to contribute to the support of the child.

The cases have seen child support paid as either a reduced amount over 12 months of the year or full support for the 4 months the child is at home and no support for the 8 months the child is away at school. The courts seem to acknowledge that, even though the child is living away at school, it is normally in the child’s best interest for the parent with whom he or she resided to maintain a home for the child to return to on school breaks. It is accepted that maintaining a permanent home for the child results in incidental expenses that subsist even in the child’s temporary absence.

The question then becomes what is the cost of maintaining that home base? Budgets, which we had thought went the way of the dodo in child support cases, are back. A support recipient will need to show the cost of maintaining a home for the child away at university. It must be part of the evidence led in order to be considered by the court.


Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund