Divorce can really take a toll on your self-esteem; it’s a constant barrage of stressors that can chisel away at your self-image, forcing you to feel differently about yourself. Between arguments with your ex, difficulties with your kids, court dates with your North York divorce lawyer and the financial and lifestyle changes that are inevitably part of divorce, you may find that it’s difficult to maintain your self-esteem throughout the process.
The good news: you can (and should) renew your flagging self-esteem during and after your divorce without taking drastic measures. You’ll feel better, your mood will improve, and people around you will notice that you’re back to your old self again.
Loss of Self-Esteem During Divorce
Many factors contribute to the loss of self-esteem during a divorce, and most of them are avoidable with the right thought processes – but that’s easier said than done. As your divorce progresses, you may face issues like:
- feeling like your ex finds you unattractive, both physically and mentally
- worrying that you won’t be able to financially provide for your family
- running out of time for yourself and stretching yourself thin to care for others
- facing character attacks from your ex that destroy your self-confidence
Many people face these issues, and many more, during divorce. Your North York divorce lawyer has seen several people with situations similar to yours – and he or she can attest to the fact that you need to rebuild your self-esteem in order to lead a happier, more productive life after divorce.
Laying the Foundation for Healthy Self-Esteem
Before you can rebuild your self-esteem, you need to get into the right mindset. Your North York divorce lawyer has seen clients from all sorts of backgrounds, and he or she can tell you that people who think negatively have a harder time bouncing back from divorce than those who maintain an optimistic outlook.
Admitting your feelings to yourself, letting go of blame and resentment, and releasing your frustrations are all key components to a successful rebound during and after your divorce.
Bouncing Back: What Your North York Divorce Lawyer Might Recommend
While your North York divorce lawyer isn’t a therapist, he or she has probably seen past clients engage in activities that helped them bounce back from low self-esteem – and it never hurts to ask. If you’re not comfortable talking about your self-esteem with your North York divorce lawyer, though, ask your family and friends for suggestions. You might also try:
- joining a club that revolves around your interests. You’ll automatically have something in common with other members, and it will take your mind off everyday stresses.
- exercising during your free time. Your body image will improve when you stick to an exercise regimen – even if it’s just committing to walking a few minutes a day – and your self-esteem will follow.
- making time for friends and family. Simply being around the people you care about can help raise your self-esteem and improve your mood.
If you find you’re having a difficult time maintaining healthy self-esteem during or after your divorce, don’t be afraid to ask your North York divorce lawyer for a referral to a local counselor or family therapist. The healthier your outlook, the brighter your future will become.