Many people find themselves in a North York divorce lawyer’s office soon after they find out their spouse has been unfaithful. Often, they wonder if they should’ve noticed the signs sooner; they wonder if finding out earlier would have made things easier. The sad truth is that while there are signs that point toward cheating, it’s tough to get a definite answer without your spouse admitting it.
Signs Your Partner is Cheating
The fact that you’re looking for clear-cut signs that your partner is cheating may be the biggest sign of all. If your gut is telling you something isn’t right, it might not be. Psychologists suggest that intuition is like a mental matching game; small cues that aren’t big enough to register on a conscious level trigger “gut feelings” in your brain that are usually pretty on-target.
What Cheaters Do
Even if your spouse leaves a trail of red flags, that doesn’t always mean he or she is cheating. However, if you believe you’re living with a cheater, know that cheaters are often repeat offenders. It might be a good idea to talk to a North York divorce lawyer and get some guidance.
- go MIA. When your spouse is missing-in-action for long periods of time, won’t pick up the phone and can’t explain where they’ve been, you might have reason to worry that they’re seeing someone else.
- worry about their appearance more than usual. When you first started dating, you had to dress nicely, fix your hair and stay in shape… and that might have changed over time and after being married for a while. If your significant other has a renewed interest in the gym, gets a makeover or dresses up to go to the store, he or she might be cheating.
- stop sharing emotions. Many cheaters still interact with their spouses on a superficial level, but eliminate emotions from the mix. Their emotional resources may be going to a new partner instead of to you.
- hide their phones or computer activity. If your spouse slams the laptop shut when you approach, or if he or she stays tethered to a cell phone without letting you touch it, they might be hiding something.
- lose interest in sex with their spouses. Cheaters are getting sexual satisfaction from an extramarital relationship—and that means little to no sexual activity is happening within the marriage. If your spouse loses interest in sex with you and you can’t find a reason, he or she might be getting it somewhere else.
When to Find a North York Divorce Lawyer
Some people ignore the signs and seem to think the problem will go away—but usually, the cheating becomes more and more obvious. At that point, many jilted spouses consult with a North York divorce lawyer to figure out what to do next.
If you think your spouse is cheating on you, it can’t hurt to talk to a North York divorce lawyer. Your lawyer has probably worked with several couples who have split over infidelity, and he or she may be able to provide you with valuable insight into your own situation.