We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

My Ex Found Someone New and My Kids Know About Him or HerWhen your ex finds someone new, particularly if you are still married, it’s hard to deal with the flood of emotions. Even if your marriage was emotionally exhausting and you were glad it was over, it can still be tough to see your ex moving on. It’s not only difficult for you, though; your children might have a hard time adjusting to the fact that their parent is seeing someone else.

Helping Kids Adjust

Despite the fact that you may be struggling with the fact that your ex seems to have moved on, psychologists suggest staying strong for your children is the best way to help them cope. Naturally, children of different ages will have different feelings about the situation, but there are a few things you should keep in mind no matter how old they are.

  1. Never speak poorly of your ex (or of his or her decisions) in front of your children. Your ex’s new relationship does not have any bearing on the way he or she feels about the kids, so it’s best not to say anything negative. That doesn’t mean you cannot talk about the relationship; if your kids ask, or if you feel they need positive guidance, it’s always okay to engage in conversation with them.
  2. If you take issue with your ex (or your ex’s new love interest), your ex is the person you should talk to. Don’t involve the children, but do be sure to address any concerns you have directly with your ex. Together with your Richmond Hill divorce lawyer, you may be able to modify your child custody agreement based on what’s best for your children.
  3. Be there for your kids if they need to talk—but don’t pressure them to do so. Some kids may benefit from talking to an outside party, such as a therapist, who has experience in these matters.

Keeping Your Richmond Hill Divorce Lawyer Updated

It’s always important to keep your Richmond Hill divorce lawyer updated, particularly if your ex is dating someone while you are still married. Your ex’s actions may affect your case.


Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund