We are open in our 8 offices to serve your needs

Whether your ex has maxed out credit cards that are attached to your name or refuses to pay the bills that you shared while married, you may have a tough time moving forward. Your credit history can be severely damaged by a financially irresponsible ex, so what can you do to stop the madness and protect yourself?

Proactively Monitor Your Account Activity

It’s always a good idea to keep watch over accounts that bear your name, so make sure that you continue to receive bills (if you’ve moved from your marital home, call your creditors and make sure they have your new address).

If you’ve come to an agreement with your ex about joint debt, you’ll need to make sure that he or she is holding up the other end of the bargain. It’s extra work, but you may need to set up online access to the accounts attached to your name so that you can ensure your ex is paying the right amounts at the right times. If you see something indicating that your ex isn’t doing the right thing, bring it to your Scarborough divorce lawyer’s attention immediately.

Paying Off All Debt – Including Your Ex’s

While it’s an extreme step, some people simply want to close all of the accounts they hold with an ex; they end up paying off all joint debt in an effort to preserve their good credit and ensure that joint accounts won’t drag them down. In most cases, it’s difficult to come up with such a significant amount of money. If you think it’s a possibility in your case, talk to your Scarborough divorce lawyer and follow his or her advice.

Explaining the Situation to Creditors

Some creditors will work with you so that you and your ex can continue to pay separately – particularly if you have an order from the court stating that you’re only responsible for a certain percentage of the debt. In fact, you may be able to get creditors to remove your name from the accounts once your portion is paid in full. Asking creditors for help isn’t always an easy route, but it’s one that could pay off in the end.

Contact Form - Contact Us Page

Request a free consultation

Please fill out this form with your contact information and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted? Click all that apply.

How can we help you?

Brief description of your legal issue:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



4211 Yonge Street • Suite #210 • Toronto • Ontario • M2P 2A9

View Map | Learn More

Aurora **

16 Industrial Parkway South • Aurora • Ontario • L4G 0R4

View Map | Learn More


500 Mapleton Avenue, Suite A • Barrie, Ontario • L4N 9C2

View Map | Learn More

Downtown Toronto **

100 King Street West • Suite #5600 • Toronto • Ontario • M5X 1C9

View Map | Learn More


4257 Sherwoodtowne Blvd Suite #300 • Mississauga Ontario • L4Z 1Y5

View Map | Learn More

Scarborough **

10 Milner Business Court • 3rd Floor • Scarborough • Ontario • M1B 3M6

View Map | Learn More

Grimsby **

33 Main Street West, • Grimsby • Ontario • L3M 1R3

View Map | Learn More

Whitby **

105 Consumers Drive - Unit 2, • Whitby • Ontario • L1N 1C4

View Map | Learn More
** Satellite office that requires you to book an appointment with us prior to arriving at the office.
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Law Society of Ontario
Peel Law Association
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
York Region Law Association
Collaborative Practice Simcoe County
Law Association Simcoe County
Widows & Orphans Fund