- What is a Custody Evaluation?
- And Baby Makes Three
- Gelman Family Law News – Winter 2016
- Welcome to Ontario Divorce
- Divorce During COVID-19
- At What Age Can a Child Refuse Visitations with the Other Parent?
- How COVID-19 Impacts Family Court Decisions
- Case Highlights Importance Of Following The Spirit Of A Separation Agreement
- Marriage and the Blended Family
- Father Regrets Signing Minutes Of Settlement; But Can He Convince The Courts To Overturn?
- Continuing on the Ontario Bar Association Family Law Executive
- The Mind of a Cheater
- Understanding Same Sex Divorce in Canada
- New Tort of Family Violence
- Can I Change the Locks on my Matrimonial Home?
- Getting Your Will in Order
- Stayed-at-home at the expense of my career. Can this be grounds for spousal support?
- Guide to Reducing the Cost of Divorce
- Efforts Being Made to Provide Home Insurance Payouts for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Failure To Meet Disclosure Requirements Can Be Costly
- Foreign Divorce Opinion Letter and What It Does
- Temporary Parenting (Formerly Custody) Orders: How Long do They Last in Divorce?
- Ask A Family Lawyer with Lisa Gelman: Separation in Ontario
- Party Planning with Your Ex
- Even With Covid-19, Marriage Formalities Are Still Needed
- How do Family Adoptions Work in Ontario?
- Why People Cheat
- Sealing Orders and Publication Bans
- Dealing With Your Spouse’s Ex
- Liberal MP Proposes Bill That Would Allow Surrogate Mothers and Sperm Donors to Be Compensated
- Let Me Do the Heavy Lifting
- No Separation Agreement, But Still Sharing a Bank Account. Is this Typical?
- Mother Granted Exclusive Possession of Matrimonial Home Over COVID-19 Concerns
- High Net-Worth Separation and Divorce
- What is the Matrimonial Home? Who Moves Out?
- Family Law Rules: Rule 23- Evidence and trial
- Does Withdrawing RRSPs Count As A Depletion Of Assets?
- Changes To Divorce Act Come Into Force
- Family Law Rules: Rule 22- Admission of facts
- Mutual Wills – Be Clear and Beware!
- What is Sole Custody
- Setting Up New Bank Accounts During Divorce
- Revenge Porn Defendant Given Another Chance at Defence After Court Overturns Default Judgment
- Complying With COVID-19 Protocols
- Denied Parenting Time? Here’s What you Need to Know
- Do you need a marriage contract?
- Pets Are Still Property
- Will I Lose Custody If I Move?
- Surviving Separation While Living in the Same House
- Living Separate and Apart Under the Same Roof
- What Are The Grounds for Divorce in Canada?
- Starting New Halloween Traditions after Divorce
- Factors The Court Will Consider When Making a Costs Award
- Decision Reminds Us That Unilateral Decisions Related To Access Are Not Acceptable
- Ontario Bar Association ADR Executive
- What is a Financial Statement?
- The New Home Checklist for Divorcés
- Judge Criticizes Father Who Submitted “Sexts” Sent by Mother as Evidence in Custody Dispute
- Can I Change a Minor Child’s Last Name Without the Other Parents’ Consent?
- Thinking About Waiting Until after the Holidays to Divorce?
- Can I assign a new beneficiary to my life insurance policies now that we’re separated?
- What to Do When You Miss Your Kids
- Costs Awards in Family Law Proceedings
- Grandmother Seeks Access To Children
- Accidents Happen – Do You Know What to Do?
- Court Recognizes Appropriateness of Self-Isolating at a Cottage During COVID-19
- Fun and Unique Anniversary Ideas
- Trying to Fill the Void Your Spouse Left
- Father Attempts To Unilaterally Restrict Access
- Why I Mediate
- Kids’ Sports: Who Goes to Practice?
- Gelman & Associates – The Consumers’ Choice
- Ontario Court of Appeal Overturns Previous Order Compelling Mother to Return Children to England
- Disobeying Court Orders and Non-Disclosure of Documents in Child Support Proceedings
- Father’s Attempt To Alter Access While On Bail Is Not Considered Urgent
- Recent Decision Reflects Modern Thinking On Mental Health Issues
- Coping with an Unexpected Divorce
- Our New & Improved Website
- Dealing with a Narcissistic Ex
- How to Cope with Sibling Rivalry
- Why Not Be Your Own Valentine?
- My Spouse Says He Loves Me but Wants a Divorce
- The Joy of Second Marriages
- Dining Out During Divorce: A Recipe for Disaster?
- The Voice of the Child
- Make Online Dating Work for You
- What Do You Have to Gain by Being Nice During Divorce?
- Divorce: What Are the Grandparent’s Rights?
- Who Owns The Embryo?
- Tips for the Solo Traveler
- 3 Things Soccer Can Teach Us about Divorce
- Common Law Partners and Joint Tenancy
- Stepparents and Access
- Reversing Possession of the Matrimonial Home During COVID-19
- Common Law Cohabitation and Property Rights
- Coping with an Addicted Spouse: Is Divorce Inevitable?
- What Happens When a Will is Lost or Destroyed?
- Parents Split During COVID-19 Making Custody An Urgent Matter
- Falsely Accused in Custody Disputes
- Keep Lunches Easy, Quick and Healthy!
- Challenging the Validity of a Separation Agreement
- How Does Spousal Support Work in Ontario?
- Your Brilliant Future Awaits
- Keeping Your Emotions in Check During Divorce
- Husband’s Affair May Allow Wife to Seek Larger Share of Net Family Property
- Realtor Asks Court to Reduce His Spousal Support Obligation Due to Uncertainties in the Market
- An Overview of the Child’s Best Interests in Family Law
- Comments on the Matrimonial Home
- Is Arguing Bad in a Relationship?
- Voice of the Child Reports ensure kids’ perspectives are represented
- How Much is Child Support Going to Be?
- COVID-19 and Meeting the “Urgency Test”
- Parents Can’t Agree On Whether Mother and Child Can Move To Alberta
- The Challenges and Triumphs of Autism
- Allegations Against Father Lead To Reduced Access
- Creating a Parenting Plan in Ontario: A Guide to Decision-Making Responsibility, Parenting Time, and Contact
- Are you ready for the summer? Overnight Camp and Divorce
- Substance Abuse and Divorce
- Diving into the Dating Pool after Divorce
- Family Law Rules: Rule 1- General
- Variation of Support in The Face of a Separation Agreement
- Changes to Decision-Making Responsibility and Parenting Time in Ontario
- Your Credit Rating – The Value of a Good Reputation
- 3 Tips for Dealing with a Difficult Ex
- Father Accuses Mother of a “Hostile Sexual Act of DNA theft” in Child Support Dispute
- How Artificial Intelligence May Impact Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Consider mediation as a dispute resolution option
- Is January Really Considered “Divorce Month”?
- Divorce and the Special Needs Child
- A Guide to Deciding Who Will Move Out When You Separate
- Safeguard Your Marriage Against the Economy
- Bad Medicine?
- Determining Spousal Support: Who Qualifies as a “Spouse”?
- Enforcing Access During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Defendant Wants Civil Action To Be Heard With Divorce
- 5 Ways to Secure a Stress-Free Holiday for Children of Divorce
- Answering Adult Kids’ Questions about Divorce
- Dividing Personal Property in Separation & Divorce
- Ongoing Battle Over Whether Indigenous Law Should Apply over Ontario Family Law in Support Dispute Continues
- When parents separate, kids need to talk… and you need to listen
- Don’t Let Post-Divorce Loneliness Put You in Reverse
- Court Addresses Costs For Father’s Non-Urgent Covid-19 Application
- EXCITING NEWS! I AM MOVING TO BEARD WINTER LLP!
- Get Ahead of Bullying
- Did Money Matter(s) Before Marriage?
- Test Private Post
- Father Learns That Abusive Behaviour Towards Mother Can Have Serious Impact On Access Rights
- Family Law for Millennials
- Anger and Divorce
- Are Divorcing Dads the Underdog?
- Interim Spousal Support and Child Support
- Make the Most of Winter Holidays
- Brown Bag Lunch? Not Today!
- Lisa Gelman Makes the W100!
- Grandmother Seeks Interim Access To Child
- Caution: Visitors Day Ahead
- Is Social Media Affecting Your Marriage?
- Celebrity Divorce: Cautionary Tales
- Court Terminates Husband’s Obligation to Pay Spousal Support
- Virtual Access During COVID-19
- Marriage Differs from Common Law
- Homework in Two Households
- Best Ways to Reduce Legal Fees During a Divorce
- You’re Never Too Old: Grey Divorce
- Child Support and the Age of Majority
- Court Orders Sale Of Matrimonial Home
- Court Pierces Corporate Veil In Order To Provide Spousal Support
- Reopening a Family Law Trial
- Why You Should Hire a Family Law Specialist
- Signs That Your Partner May Be Cheating
- Thanksgiving Alone: 3 Ways to Brighten Your Day
- Social Media and Divorce
- Faith and Remarriage
- Should a Sperm Donor be Held Liable for Child Support?
- Can One Party In A Separation Be Made To Pay Rent To The Other?
- Tips For Vacation Planning For Divorced Or Separated Parents
- Court Denies Adjournment Request Due To Missed Appearance
- Take Title to Joint Property PROPERLY!
- The Winter Holidays and Divorce
- My Ex is Expecting – My Kids Are About to Get a Half Sibling
- How Courts Handle The Return Of Children When Hague Convention Does Not Apply
- Celebrating Your Divorce
- Summer Break and Outnumbered
- A Question of Jurisdiction: When Ontario Courts Can Decide Custody and Access Matters
- British Columbia Court Issues Order Declaring Child To Have Three Parents In Polyamorous Relationship
- Mediation and Arbitration: Resolve your family law disputes
- Step-Parent Etiquette
- Jamaican Mother Loses Battle to Stop her Child’s Adoption by a Canadian Family
- Your Weekends with the Kids Don’t Have to Cost A Lot
- Getting Kids to School – The Eternal Struggle
- Court Orders Spouse to Pay Advance of Fees to Fund Litigation
- Court Permits Mother to Relocate with Children
- When Is Spousal Support Appropriate? What It All Means
- Beard Winter LLP: Here I Am!
- Forgiveness and Moving On
- Court Grants Mother Interim Sole Custody of Child
- Criminal and family lawyers must follow best practice guidelines
- My Ex Started Dating, But We’re Living in the Same House
- Can a Court Force a Family to Attend Therapy?
- Oakville Family Law Lawyers
- Parenting Plans – Are They Just What You Need?
- “Best Interests of the Child”: What does this really mean?
- Appeal Is Allowed, But Costs Must Be Secured
- Coping with a Controlling Ex
- How to Parent Collaboratively: A Parenting Plan
- Divorce and Halloween – It Doesn’t Have to be Scary
- Losing Your Friends Through Divorce
- How to Get a Divorce Without a Lawyer
- Understanding Joint Custody
- Grandparents Unsuccessfully Fight for Custody of Children
- Top fundraiser for high-risk births
- Is the Economy Affecting Divorce?
- Summer Dreams: How to Plan and Save for Vacation
- Emerging Technologies and Domestic Abuse
- Is it a GIFT or a LOAN?
- Gelman Family Law News – Autumn 2014
- When is it Worth it to Save Your Marriage?
- Court Examines How Limitation Period Should Be Established To Set Aside Marriage Agreement
- Gelman Family Law News – Spring 2015
- A Fine Line: Loving and Being in Love
- Court Upholds Mother’s Decision to Deny Access to Stepfather
- I’m Proud of PRIDE as Toronto Family Lawyers
- Stay Classy during separation
- Do I Need to Return the Engagement Ring?
- Gelman Family Law News
- Mourning the Loss of Your Marriage
- The Difficulty Of Unscrambling An Egg
- “But I Don’t Want to Go!”
- Is Your Sex Life (or Lack Thereof) Hurting Your Marriage?
- Is a Judge Obligated to Read All Materials Filed in a Family Law Case?
- Sharing Parental Duties After Divorce
- Managing Your Children’s Health in Two Homes
- A Court Cannot Order Parties to Appoint a Parenting Coordinator to Settle Disputes
- Woman Sentenced to 60 Days in Jail After Falsely Accusing Ex-Husband of Attempted Rape and Domestic Violence
- Where Does Mediation Fit in the Divorce Process?
- Family law constantly evolving, presenting new challenges
- BIG NEWS: I HAVE JOINED GELMAN AND ASSOCIATES!
- Making Changes to Child Support Payments
- Ready to Date? Where to Begin?
- Am I Your Biological Father? Paternity Tests and Child Support
- Thorny Spousal Support Issues Post Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines (“SSAGs”)
- How Children Are Affected in a New Marriage
- Amy Poehler’s Take on Divorce
- Tailor Made Family Law
- Divorcing an ill Spouse
- Passport Applications for Children – What’s Different Post-Divorce?
- Child’s Surname Legally
- Gelman Family Law News – Autumn 2015
- Father’s Day After Divorce
- Ontario Court Discusses Self-Employment Income in the Context of Child Support
- Establishing Parentage
- How to Cope with a Narcissistic Ex
- Post Divorce – What to Update
- My Ex is Harassing Me During Our Divorce
- Important Information on the Special Nature of the Matrimonial Homes
- Budget Time – School and Extra Curricular Activities
- Failure or Fresh Start?
- Introducing Toronto Family Law Blog
- Court Varies Parenting Order in the Face of COVID-19
- Custody and Access During the School Year
- Help! My Ex is Getting Remarried
- New Federal Child Support Guidelines
- Parents Disagree ON Whether It Is Safe To Return To School
- Changing the Locks: Can I Banish My Spouse from the House?
- Adult Adoption: is Parental Consent Still Required?
- The ABCs of Costs and Family Law Rules
- Contract is Not a Four Letter Word
- I’m Pregnant and Going Through a Divorce
- The voice of children and family court
- What Happens When You Void a Cohabitation Agreement
- Budgeting After Divorce: Getting Used to a New Normal
- Does an Unhappy Marriage Equal Unhappy Kids?
- Resolving Family Law Disputes: Arbitrators and Lawyers
- Family Court is Open to the Public
- “Am I Going Crazy?” The Emotional Maelstrom/Aftermath of Divorce
- Should I Quit My Job During Divorce?
- Dispute Resolution Mechanisms In Custody and Access
- Handling Awkward Occasions with Your Ex
- Court Awards Woman Ownership of Embryo Deemed Property in Acrimonious Divorce
- Some Important Information on the Special Nature of the Matrimonial Home
- The Children’s Best Interests: Changing Residences and Schools During COVID-19
- Inter-Disciplinary Magic
- Same Sex Adoption – Where Couples Stand
- Out with the Old: Getting Rid of Your Spouse’s Possessions
- Division of Net Family Property – Is it Always Equal?
- The Consequences of Dying Without a Will
- Domestic Contracts
- Child’s Extended Visit With Father Alarms Mother
- Which Parent Gets Decision-Making Responsibility and Why
- School as a Single Parent
- The Psychological Effects of Staying Together for the Kids
- Court of Appeal: Mother’s New Partner Cannot Participate in Family Counselling Because of Restraining Order
- Child Support for A Child Away at University
- Two Households Doesn’t Mean Double the Homework
- Paper Trails: How Creating Them Can Help You in Court
- Forgiveness: do your soul a favour
- A PI’s Perspective – Top 5 Tips When Hiring an Investigator
- Navigating Funerals with Your Ex
- Domestic Violence: The Basics
- Court: “The father created this situation. He keeps having children that he now claims he cannot afford”
- Parental alienation cases require creative counsel
- Terminating Spousal Support
- Family Law Trials Part I – The Preparation
- Job Opportunity – Office Manager (Contract Position)
- Til Death Do Us Part…or Something Like That
- Domestic Violence: The Details
- Alienation Update: What Are The Courts Doing With These Cases?
- Who Is In The Best Position To Decide If Schools Are Safe?
- Holding the Family Responsibility Office Responsible
- Division of Property: The Matrimonial Home
- Courage to Trust Again: Coping with Trust Issues
- Family Law in Ontario Needs A Complete Overhaul
- Common Law and Property Equalization
- Panic and Anxiety During Divorce
- Ontario ruling supports same sex right to marry abroad
- Put some pebbles in your pockets, people!
- Something Came Up…Again
- Second Marriage: Court Relies on Financial Statements from First Divorce During Second Divorce
- Domestic Contracts and Ronald’s real spouse
- The importance of timely family law custody appeals
- Financial Disclosure and Child Support
- The Role of Step Parents During the Wedding
- Assisted Reproduction – Declarations of Parentage and Non-Parentage
- Your first holidays single
- Where I Need to Be
- Pets & Divorce: Sometimes a Dog’s Breakfast
- Revealing to Your Kids That You Are Gay
- Ontario Court Considers When Imprisonment is Appropriate for Non-Payment of Support Arrears
- Children and Schooling during COVID-19: In-Person versus Online Learning?
- How Long Do You Have to Pay Child Support in Ontario
- Family Law Trials Part II: Day Two
- Grandparents and Child Custody
- Divorce Tricks That People Play
- Preparing for Divorce
- Co-Parenting: Is There an App for That?
- Gelman & Associates’ Client Succeeds In Securing Costs
- Mother’s Allegations of Abuse are not Found to be Credible; Custody Arrangement Enforced
- Separation Without a Court Battle
- Child Support: Paying for an Adult Child Who’s Walked Out of Your Life
- Court Orders Father to Pay Exorbitant Costs Award
- A PLEA FOR FAMILY LAW EDUCATION
- Adoption in Ontario
- Stepfamilies – Wicked or Wonderful?
- Family Law Trials Part III: Day Three
- The “Adult Child” and Child Support
- Ex-Husband Attempts to Set Aside His Child Support Obligations, Court Orders Him to Continue Paying
- Add it Up: Beyond Basic Child Support
- Court Dismisses Motion to Lift Supervised Access Order
- Benefits of a Marriage Contract
- What Does Child Support Cover in Ontario
- Summer Break and Outnumbered
- Court Finds Mother in Contempt
- Canada’s Supreme Court Updates Its Position On Retroactive Child Support
- Getting Your Will in Order
- Spousal Support: The Details
- Post-Divorce Parental Obligations to Emancipated Children
- Like it or Not: Forcing the Sale of the Matrimonial Home
- Family Law Trials Part IV: The Last Two Days
- How Counselling Can Help on the Road From Separation to Divorce
- Spousal Support: The Basics
- Spousal Support Variations: A Tale of Two Motions
- False Allegations During Divorce Proceedings
- Pension Issues and Divorce
- Understanding Unjust Enrichments and Constructive Trusts
- Will the Supreme Court of Canada consider the issue of custody jurisdiction in the case of an infant?
- How to Save Money on Your Divorce
- 5 Costly Mistakes to Avoid During a Divorce
- Don’t Fall Into a Trap: Marriage Contracts
- Marriage Contracts and Limitation Periods
- Does Retirement End Spousal Support Payments?
- How to Make a Divorce Budget
- Single Mother of Adult Disabled Son Secures Continued Child Support Payments in Precedent Setting Decision
- When Will Courts Consider Forgiving Arrears For A Parent Or Spouse?
- 5 Signs Your Spouse is a Narcissist
- Helping Families Craft Lasting Solutions as a Certified Family Mediator
- Tips for Staying Organized and Helping Your Lawyer During Divorce
- Requesting Changes to Spousal Support After Retirement
- Parties Disagree Over Ownership Of Home
- Help! My Ex Won’t Pick Up My Kids
- Distribution of Property in Ontario: The Details
- Wealthy Husband Ordered to Pay Wife Spousal Support of $30,000 per Month
- What Celebrity Divorces Don’t Teach Us
- Distribution of Property in Ontario: The Basics
- Court Determines Which School Child Will Attend
- Uses of Skype Technology in Family Law
- See Spot Divorce: Who Gets the Family Dog?
- Choosing Your Battles During Divorce
- Collaborative Divorce
- How to Help a Victim of Domestic Violence
- Fighting in Front of the Kids – Flirting with Disaster
- Personal Budgeting: Living Within Your Means
- Keeping Your Emotions From Taking Over During Divorce Negotiations
- Divorced Parent: End of the Marriage, Beginning of Guilt
- Dispensing with Privacy: Court Orders Spouse to Produce Medical Records
- Uses of Skype Technology in Family Law
- Do Your Kids Need Therapy During Divorce?
- I am Not the One That Wants the Divorce
- Husband And Wife Turn To Court To Help Them Get Married…Again
- Neutralizing conflict through parenting co-ordination
- 3 Stress-Busting Techniques for People Going Through Divorce
- Divorce & Transformation: Changing Life; Changing Self
- The Ontario Court of Appeal for shared custody
- 3 Ways a Divorce Journal Can Help You Cope
- Navigating Your Own Children and Their Half-Siblings
- Contempt: Man Would Rather Go to Prison Than Pay Ex-Wife Spousal Support
- Ontario Court of Appeal Denies Father’s Request to Reduce Child Support Arrears
- Successful Co-Parenting With Your Ex
- How to Deal with Angry Ex-In-Laws
- Is it Possible to Overschedule My Kids?
- What to do If Your Spouse Doesn’t Have a Divorce Lawyer?
- How to Cope When Your Ex is Jealous of the New Person in Your Life
- Are Personal Injury Structured Settlements Considered Property or Income in Divorces?
- Important Information on the Special Nature of the Matrimonial Home
- Happy Anniversary to Me!
- Should Kids Have a Strict Schedule During Divorce?
- My Parents Are Divorced; How Will My Marriage Fare?
- Can Income be Imputed Where a Payor Spouse is in Jail?
- Who Gets Custody of Your Friends After a Divorce?
- Explaining Divorce to Your Teen
- Five Ways to Save on Your Grocery Bill
- Can You Work Off Your Emotions During Divorce?
- Should I Have Forseen My Divorce
- Thorny Spousal Support Issues Post Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines (“SSAGs”)
- The Credit Nosedive – When Divorce Threatens Your Financial Status
- Managing Your Career During Divorce
- Spousal Support Awards – Compensatory and Non-Compensatory Claims
- “An Ocean of Family and Civil Litigation”
- Email Communications After Divorce: Be Careful What You Send
- Valentine’s Day Doesn’t Have to Suck
- What to do When Your Ex Won’t Let You See Your Children
- Kids Coping with Abandonment Anxiety
- Quick Mood-Boosters for Divorcing Women
- Infidelity: The Toll it Takes
- Rethinking Dating During Divorce
- Court of Appeal Opens the Door for Determining Whether Indigenous Law Should Have Priority Over Ontario Law in Family Law Disputes Involving Indigenous Parties
- 5 Symptoms of Divorce-Related Depression
- Lashing Out After Hearing “It’s Over”
- What Happens if You Miss the Deadline for Making an Application for Division of Property?
- Fighting with Your Ex – Is it Really Worth It?
- Most Common Reasons for Divorce
- Grandparent’s Rights in Canada: An Overview
- Interview with Me
- When a Parent Moves Away
- Eat Well, Feel Better
- How Many Years After Separation Will the Court Order Spousal Support?
- Post Divorce: To Rent or to Own? That is the Question!
- The Role of the Nanny in Your Divorce
- Ontario Recognizes Rights of Disabled Children of Unmarried Parents
- How to Protect Your Inheritance from Divorce
- Maintaining Fitness in Body and Mind During Divorce
- Avoid Being Seen as the Disney Parent
- Dating Post Divorce
- How to Answer Kids’ Questions About Your Divorce
- Cuban Man to be Deported Following Federal Court’s Finding of a Marriage Scam
- Negotiate or Litigate
- Socializing for You and the Kids
- Same-Sex Parent Denied Temporary Access to Child
- Comments on the Bonkalo Report on Family Law Services
- Table for One: Getting “Out There” as a Single Person
- Judge Determines Best Interests of a Child by Interviewing the Child in Question
- Is Credit Counselling for You?
- Confronting Your Fear of Divorce
- Should I Keep the House?
- Nova Scotia Courts Consider the Question of Who is a Parent?
- To Tell the Truth: Honesty, Your Kids and Divorce
- Can a Settled Custody Order be Changed?
- Grandparents’ Rights of Access to Grandchildren
- Court Asked To Determine If A Divorce Overseas Is Valid, If It Occurred At All
- Relationship Tips: Talk, Listen and Love
- Signs Your Partner May Be Cheating
- Common Questions About Property Division During a Divorce
- Step-Parenting and Discipline
- When Will a Court Order Interim Costs and Disbursements?
- Can I Sue My Ex’s Mistress for Damages?
- Breaking Up with Friends is Also Hard to Do
- Jurisdictional Changes: Is the Move in the Child’s Best Interests?
- Warning Signs of Domestic Violence
- Things to Consider When Writing a Separation Agreement
- My Parent is Dating Someone Younger Than Me
- Stopping Cellphone Videoing in Custody Cases
- Parental Alienation
- Court Grapples With Child Abduction Across Borders
- Can Skype/FaceTime Still be Quality Time with the Kids?
- Canada’s Vague Surrogacy Laws Raise Questions
- Post Divorce: Can You Two Still be Friends?
- After Divorce: What To Do With the Ring?
- Ignoring Payment Of Costs Can Be An Expensive Mistake
- Court Refuses to Set Aside Restraining Order
- Is Mediation for You?
- Grandparent Access: Mediate, Don’t Litigate
- Words and Actions: Your Children Are Watching You
- An Annulment vs. a Divorce: Which One is Appropriate?
- Family Law Expert: Making an informed decision
- Telling Your Spouse It’s Over
- Courts Looks At Whether Finding Of Contempt Was Appropriate
- Cancelling Child Support
- Avoiding Financial Statements Does Not Make Them Go Away
- What a CDFA Can Do For You
- IS CHEATING EVER JUSTIFIED? – What Is Cheating in a Relationship?
- Judge Says Treat High Conflict Parents Like Children
- Divorce, Anxiety and Depression
- Child Support for Adult Children
- Violence and Divorce: Please Don’t be a Statistic
- When Your Ex Finds Someone New
- Gelman & Associates Lawyer Quoted In Parliament
- Caution: Social Media and Divorce
- Child Support: The Details
- Occupation Rent – When is it Awarded?
- Family Law Case and Other Civil Settlements
- Second Thoughts After Separation: Fear or Love?
- When the Court Will Stay an Order Pending Appeal
- What’s In A (Attempt To Change A) Name?
- New Post by Me on AdvocateDaily
- Staying Together for the Kids
- Impact of Divorce on Family Business
- HRTO: Barring Child of Same Sex Couple from Attending Religious School was not Breach of Human Rights
- Access by a Non-Parent
- How to select a good family mediator-arbitrator
- Pets and Divorce
- Father’s Credibility Questioned After Review Of Instagram Account
- Child Relocation: Everything You Need to Know
- So the Kids Don’t Like That You’re Dating
- Protecting Gifts and Inheritances in Family Law
- Creative Ways to Acknowledge Your Divorce
- Tips for Age-Appropriate Visitation
- Revisiting The Considerations Around Relocating a Child
- Managing Anger During Divorce
- Court of Appeal Upholds Cohabitation Agreement Waiving Spousal Support
- What Are the Child Custody Rights of Unmarried Parents?
- Child Custody and School
- Child Support: The Basics
- Homemade Separation Agreement Ends Up Costing Couple Time and Money
- Contempt in Family Law Proceedings
- Divorcing From a Narcissist
- Coping with Credit Card Debt
- Title Trumps: The Effect of Placing a Property in Joint Tenancy
- Going Back to School After a Divorce
- Navigating Child Custody During the Pandemic
- How to Talk to Your Children About Divorce
- Must Canadian Children Be Registered as a Specific Sex on Official Documents?
- Home Is Where The Dispute Is
- Gelman & Associates Is Attending Canada’s Bridal Show!
- Child Support Guidelines Commentary
- Stepparents and Access to Children
- Five Divorce Mistakes to Avoid
- 5 Things to Cut Out of Your Monthly Budget
- Failure to Ensure Procedural Fairness in Arbitration is Denial of Natural Justice
- Courts Will Award Costs to Self-Represented Litigants
- How Divorce Affects Grandparents
- How to Discuss a Prenuptial Agreement With Your Partner
- Being Present During Parenting Time
- Helping Kids Through Divorce – 10 Tips
- Amazon Founder’s Divorce Makes Headlines
- Exercise: Great Care
- How to Tell Your Spouse You Want a Divorce
- Can’t Communicate With Your Ex? Sole Custody May be Best for the Child
- Top Ten Reasons Why Teaching Is Like Practising Family Law
- Years after the year of separation
- How to Tell Your Kids You Are Getting a Divorce
- Year of separation
- Five Most Common Divorce Mistakes
- Can an ADHD Be Used to Set Aside a Family Court Order?
- Court Determines Whether Syrian Divorce Is Recognized In Canada
- Protecting Your Mental Health Through Divorce
- Tax deductions for children – the “equivalent to spouse” deduction
- The Decision to Divorce
- Budgeting for Couples
- Deductibility of Legal Fees
- Navigating Family Celebrations with Your Ex
- What To Do With The Wedding Dress
- Five Ways to Save on Your Utility Bills
- The Status Quo and Shared Parenting Arrangements
- When Sole Custody is More Appropriate Than Joint Custody
- Considerations Regarding Interim Custody
- Pleased to Announce….
- RRSP and pension assets
- Blending Families
- Dealing with Divorce Grief
- Division of property on marriage breakdown
- How to Help Kids Adjust to Divorce
- Parenting & Mental Illness: A Custody Decision
- Building an Emergency Fund
- Questions to Ask Yourself if You’re Considering Adoption
- Taxation of third-party payments
- Parenting and Stepfamilies
- Post-Divorce Dating
- Father Loses Joint Custody, But Retains Access so that Son Could Relax at his Home
- Supreme Court Weighs In On International Divorce
- No Child Support Set-Off if Spouses Want to Maintain Deductions
- What is a child support payment?
- When Are You Ready to Date After Divorce?
- Tips for Newly-Single Parents
- Child support payments
- Navigating the New Dating Scene
- Great Ways to Meet New People
- Divorced Couple Disputes A Number Of Child Support Issues
- Husband Seeks To Cease Spousal Support Upon Retirement
- When are support payments deductible?
- Recognizing and Coping with a Narcissist
- Picking a Starter Pet for Your Child
- Parent Visitation Rights
- Divorce and Money Matters Can be Taxing
- Could You Forgive a Cheating Spouse?
- It’s Okay if Your Ex Never Apologizes
- Ensuring Certainty in a Marriage Contract
- Court Imposes Penalty for Contempt of Court
- What to Do with Your Wedding Ring
- 4 Things to Think About Before You Cheat
- Tips for Stay-at-Home Parents Returning to Work
- Bankruptcy Claim Trumps Wife’s Access To Proceeds From Home Sale
- Tips: Setting Up a Child’s Room in a New Home
- But What About Buddy!
- Being Supportive During Divorce
- “First-Family-First”: When Might a Second Family Impact a Support Obligation?
- 10 Things to Know About Your New Neighbourhood
- Maintaining Ties with Your Ex’s Family
- How Much is Too Much?
- Non-Compensatory Spousal Support Where Income Increases After Separation
- Thinking About a Marriage Contract or Cohab?
- Can Skype/FaceTime Still be Quality Time with the Kids?
- Living in the Same House as Your Ex
- Your Brilliant Future Awaits
- Coping with Loneliness
- Settlement: The Most Attractive Option
- The Lawyer’s Role in the Collaborative Process
- Changing a Child’s Name After Separation or Divorce
- Facebook Posts Challenge Father’s Credibility
- Telling the Kids You Are Getting Remarried
- Moving in with Parents or Friends after Separation
- Testamentary Freedom: The Case of the ‘Racist Will’
- Deciding Custody & Access: Part Science and Part Art
- Mother Accuses Employer Of Violating Human Rights In Not Accommodating Daycare Needs
- Contempt of Court for Breaching Access Orders
- Understanding Prenups from a Businessperson’s Perspective
- The Difference Between Prenuptial Agreement, Marriage Contract and Cohabitation Agreement
- The Benefits of Marriage Counselling & Therapy
- The Value of Parenting Coaches
- Amber Alert Custody Battle – Allegations of Abuse & Manipulation
- Non-Parental Access to a Child: What Will Court’s Consider?
- Court Considers Whether Police Enforcement Of Order Is Necessary
- Parental Alienation
- Tort Damages for Invasion of Privacy
- The Children Don’t Want to Visit My Ex
- Do You Have a Controlling Spouse?
- Court Refuses Wife’s Request to Set Aside a Marriage Contract
- What is the difference between a separation and divorce in Ontario?
- The Kids and What They Might be Going Through
- Does Spousal Support Terminate When the Payor Retires?
- Court Orders Mother to Undergo a Capacity Assessment
- How does adultery get proven during divorce proceedings?
- Seeking a Lawyer for Our Barrie Office
- Substance Abuse and Divorce
- What Do We Tell the Kids? Talking About the Break Up
- Co-Parenting and Discipline
- Do Step-Parents Have a Child Support Obligation?
- Is It Ever Too Late To Seek Spousal Support?
- Travelling Single
- Choosing a Lawyer
- Money Saving Tips When Living Alone
- Taking Care of Yourself Over the Holidays
- Retroactive Child Support Payments
- Meeting with a Lawyer
- Preventing Parental Alienation
- Equal Treatment for Disabled Children
- Property Division: Pensions
- Separation Agreement Anxiety
- What Have I Done? Coping with Guilt During and After Divorce
- Man Sues Woman for “Unplanned Parenthood”- Claim Dismissed, Woman Awarded Costs
- Involving the Office of the Children’s Lawyer: Custody and Access and the Best Interests of the Child
- Redecorating After Divorce
- Intention vs. The Wording of a Will
- Contested Divorce
- Advanced Issues in Domestic Contracts in Family Law
- Online Affairs: Still an Affair
- Household Emergencies You Can Handle Yourself
- Costs Awards in Family Law Proceedings
- The Healing Power of Music
- Does a father have to continue paying child support if he discovers the child is not his?
- Understanding Parental Rights During a Divorce
- Insurance policies remain security for support
- Rebuilding Your Finances After Divorce
- Books That Make Divorce Easier for Kids
- What Determines Whether A Matrimonial Home Can Be Sold Following A Separation or Divorce?
- Navigating Court Procedures in Ontario
- Turn Your Child Into a Reader
- The Importance of Obtaining Independent Legal Advice in a Family Law Dispute
- Are Adult Students Entitled To Child Support?
- Introducing a New Partner to Your Kids
- Parenting Coordinators
- Little Ways to Keep the Romance Alive
- Considerations For Divorced Parents Planning A Vacation With A Child
- Navigating Employment and Doing Your Job During a Divorce
- Custody: When Does the Child Get to Decide Custody
- Removal of Counsel from Record in Family Law Proceedings
- A Cautionary Tale: How Electronic Communications May Influence a Family Law Proceeding
- A Guide For New Parents on How To Write A Living Will
- Matrimonial Home: Special Asset for Married Spouses
- Coping with Depression
- Does a Child Getting Older Constitute a “Material Change in Circumstances” When Varying Parenting Time?
- Dealing with Grief During and After Your Divorce
- The Benefits of Journaling During Your Divorce
- Making New Friends After the Divorce
- Judge Rules Against Indigenous Man Who Argued that Ontario Law Had No Jurisdiction Over His Family Dispute
- No Shared Parenting Presumption
- How to Save Money on Your Divorce
- The Emotional Side of Divorce: Taking Care of Your Heart
- Court Looks At Whether It Has Jurisdiction To Order Reunification Therapy
- Parental Child Abduction
- How to Navigate Your Kids, The Holidays and Your Ex
- Special Considerations for Grey Divorces
- Gelman & Associates Family Law News – Autumn 2016
- Separation Without the Court Battle
- Coping with Holidays and Vacations without the Kids
- What is a Paternity Agreement?
- Adoption Orders: When the Court Will Dispense with the Consent of Biological Parents
- Court Determines That it Lost Jurisdiction in Custody Dispute
- Wife Awarded Large Sum for Interim Disbursements
- Here’s What You Need to Know About Child Relocation
- Resources for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Social Media and Divorce
- Unreasonable Behaviour Attracts Costs
- Staging Your Home for Sale
- Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders: Legal Principles
- GELMAN FAMILY LAW NEWS
- Looking for a New Home During or After a Divorce
- Judge on Custody: “There is a difference between parents who are poor, and poor parents”
- Court Recognizes New Tort Following Husband’s Behaviour
- Maintaining and Renewing Your Self-Esteem During and After Divorce
- Parenting Time: An Honest Desire to Spend More Visitation Time with Children Isn’t Always Enough
- Fun Bachelorette Party Ideas
- Husband Promises Spousal Support For Life, But Retirement Causes Him To Reconsider
- Is January Divorce Month?
- The Psychology of Cheating
- Ways to Reduce Stress During Your Divorce
- How Does the Court Determine a Child’s “Habitual Residence”?
- Finding Balance with Reflexology
- How to Tell Your Friends and Family You’re Getting Divorced
- Gwyneth Paltrow Calls Divorce “Conscious Uncoupling”
- Real Estate, Real Decisions
- The Depletion of Assets
- Lisa Gelman makes the W100 Canada’s Top Female Entrepreneurs!
- Mapping Out Your Finances
- Division of Assets
- Helpful Books on Divorce
- Granting Adjournments in Family Law Arbitrations
- Is Social Media Safe for Your Kids?
- Managing Your Finances During Divorce
- 5 Things to Do Before You Even Think About Getting a Divorce
- The Latest With The Courts And COVID-19
- Check out My Marriage Contract Article
- Arbitration: Pros and Cons
- How to Communicate Effectively with Your Ex
- How to get through divorce in Ontario
- Shared Custody: 40% Rule
- Child Support and Common Law Relationships
- The Price of Divorce
- Home Repairs You Can Do Yourself
- Requests For Relocation on an Interim Basis
- Child Support Payments
- Should I Get a Lawyer?
- Child Support and Claims for Undue Hardship
- Grey Divorce
- How Can We Prepare Our Kids for Divorce?
- Toronto Man Acquitted in Canada’s First Criminal Harassment Case Involving Twitter
- What Impact Could my Dating have on Child Custody during my Divorce?: Part II
- Is Parental Alienation a Mental Health Issue?
- Following Domestic Violence, Mother Flees Across Country With Child
- What Impact Could my Dating have on Child Custody during my Divorce?: Part I
- Why is Leaving a Narcissist so Hard?
- Understanding the Hague Convention: Some Recent Case Examples
- Can a Father Force a Mother and Child to Return to Ontario?
- What Impact Could my Dating have on Child Custody after my Divorce?
- How Will Divorce Affect Your Pension Assets?
- Court Refuses to Set Aside Separation Agreement
- What is an Uncontested Divorce?
- How to Avoid Common Impediments to Settlement
- Talking to Teens about Divorce – Part 4: The Don’ts of Discussion
- Testamentary Capacity & Undue Influence – Challenging a Will’s Validity
- Liberal Government Investigating Paternity Leave Policy Options
- Can Spouses Be Awarded Damages for Spousal Abuse and/or Domestic Violence During a Marriage?
- Talking to Teens about Divorce – Part 3: The Do’s of Discussion
- Who Gets The Pets During a Divorce in Ontario
- Healing after Divorce, One Day at a Time
- Talking to Teens about Divorce – Part 2: The Do’s and Don’ts of Discussion
- What Does Divorce Mean for Your Inheritance?
- Things to Consider When Filling Our Your Divorce Application in Ontario
- Interview with Yours Truly
- Recognizing Your Emotional Low Spots During Divorce
- Talking to Teens about Divorce – Part 1: Special Attention for Adolescents
- An Overview of the Divorce and Separation Process in Ontario
- Divorce: The Basics
- High Conflict Custody Cases
- Co-Parenting Arrangements During COVID-19
- Family Law for Estates and Trusts Practitioners Part I
- I Miss My Ex
- Preparing for Mediation
- What Happens When, Post-Divorce, a Parent Changes Their Child’s Name Without the Other Parent’s Permission?
- Terminating Spousal Support: What Constitutes a Material Change in Circumstances?
- Things to Consider in a High Net-Worth Divorce in Ontario
- Being the Single Parent of an Infant
- What Behaviours Could Affect Child Custody?
- Mother from Jamaica Fighting to Stop Her Child’s Adoption by a Canadian Family
- Social Media Tips For Divorced Parents Over Holidays
- My Ex Maxed Out My Credit Cards During Divorce
- What to do if Child Support is Not Paid?
- Imputing Income to an Intentionally Under-Employed Parent
- Courts Weigh What Constitutes An Emergency During COVID-19 Crisis
- Such A Law Office
- Dating After Divorce: The Next Step is Dating
- Family Law Issues Over the Holidays: Preparing Children For Why This Year Might Look Different Than Others
- Dating After Divorce: Taking Action
- Indefinite vs. Time-Limited Spousal Support
- Can you get a divorce without your spouse’s consent?
- Can the amount of child support change?
- Dating After Divorce
- Domestic Violence and Invasion of Privacy: Serious Allegations Made During Divorce Proceedings
- Determining Whether a Matter is “Urgent” Under the New COVID-19 Protocol
- The Importance Of Following COVID-19 Rules
- Different Types of Child Support Orders
- The Advantages of Mediation
- Family Law for Estates and Trusts Practitioners Part II
- Child Custody: The Basics
- What To Do if Spousal Support is Not Paid?
- Family Law Issues Over the Holidays: Why Divorces Tend to Go Up After the New Year
- When Your Ex Lashes Out at You
- Common Law Relationships in Ontario – The Details
- Sperm Donor Who Donated to Lesbian Couple is Denied Parental Rights
- Dealing with a Dramatic Ex
- Travelling Abroad With Children – Do I Need a Consent Letter?
- Why You Should Consider A Marriage Contract
- Child Custody: The Details
- Agreements to Arbitrate in Family Law
- Survival Tips for Surviving Divorce and Disney: Part I
- Losing Your Best Friend to Divorce
- Choosing the Right Mediator for Your Separation
- Give ’em a Hand: Getting Kids to Do Their Chores
- I Feel Like My Spouse is Using Me
- When Should You Get a Prenuptial Agreement
- Grey Divorce Presentation
- Managing Anxiety Before Sleepover Camp
- Back to School: New Routines
- The Reality of Costs in Family Law Disputes
- Court Finds Severance of Divorce Would Not Result in Disadvantage for Ex-Husband Who Will Lose Health Benefits
- How To Address Child Support In The Event Of A Job Loss
- How Does a Business Get Divided During a Divorce in Ontario?
- What Do I DO With This Stuff?
- How to Tell the Kids You Are Getting Divorced
- What People Going Through Divorce Really Want to Hear
- What Is A Divorce Coach?
- My Divorce is My Fault
- Mother Wants Father To Sell House Following Separation Agreement
- An Overview on Family Law Court Orders
- Child Support in Ontario
- When Your Ex Finds Someone New: Helping Kids Cope
- Common Law Spouses and Claims for Constructive Trust
- Survival Tips for Divorce and Disney: Part II
- Childhood Obesity: Real or Fear Mongering?
- How Is The Property Divided?
- Family Law Rules: Rule 42- Appointment of family case manager in the family court of the Superior Court of Justice in Ottawa
- Court Decides Mother Cannot be Barred from Moving Children Outside of a School Catchment Area
- Home Remedies: Tried & Tested
- Dealing with a Hurtful Ex
- Father Runs Into Difficulty Trying To Vary Interim Order
- Feelings of Guilt During Separation & Divorce
- Divorce: The Details
- Family Law Rules: Rule 40- Case management in Ontario Court of Justice
- Introducing Jennifer Shuber, Certified Specialist in Family Law
- Habitual Residence under the Hague Convention
- Stop Wasting That Food!
- Same Sex Divorce in Canada
- An Introduction To Domestic Violence in Ontario
- Deferring a Child Support Obligation
- The Impact of a Voice of the Child Report On Parenting Time
- Tips for Single Father Parenting
- Divorce Conflict: Shield Your Children
- Family Law Rules: Rule 38- Appeals
- Enforcing Child Support Orders in Ontario
- Father’s Approach To COVID-19 Measures Leads To Reduced Parenting Time
- Update on proposed Divorce Act Amendments
- My abusive ex won’t leave the house! What should I do?
- Variation and Recission of Custody and Access Orders
- What You Should Know About Divorce In Ontario
- Reinventing Yourself After Divorce
- Interim Custody Arrangements and Orders
- Keeping Your Divorce Out Of Court
- Motion Is Used To Determine Main Issue At Trial In Order To Move Ahead Through Covid-19
- Building Your Child’s Self Esteem
- Common Law Relationships in Ontario – The Basics
- Judge Slams Mother’s Behaviour During Lengthy Divorce Trial
- Former Spouse Receives Entire Life Support Payout As Required Under Separation Agreement
- Common Terms in Family Law
- The Basics of An Annulment
- Common Law Relationships – The Details
- Child Support – Issues and Answers
- Child Protection Law in Ontario – Katelynn’s Principle & Bill 89
- My interview on the marriage survey
- Restrictions to Divorce
Return to Articles